What is NovaSure?
NovaSure endometrial ablation is a procedure to reduce or stop heavy menstrual bleeding in women by permanently destroying the endometrium, the uterine lining that is responsible for causing heavy bleeding. It is a simple procedure which can be performed in your doctor’s office without the need for anesthesia.
Benefits of NovaSure
Benefits of NovaSure procedure include:
- One-time procedure
- Quick procedure, taking less than five minutes
- No incision required
- No preparation required for this procedure
- Very effective result: for around 90% of women, periods return to normal, for around 40% of woman, periods stop completely
- Can be performed even during your menstrual cycle
The procedure is performed in your doctor’s office without the use of anesthesia. During the procedure your doctor slightly opens the cervix, a slender wand is inserted, and a triangular mesh device is extended into the uterus. The mesh is then expanded so that it fits the shape and size of your uterus. For about 90 seconds, radiofrequency energy is delivered through the mesh. The mesh is then pulled back into the wand and both are removed from the uterus.
After NovaSure Procedure
Immediately after the procedure, you may experience some discomfort such as nausea, vomiting or mild pain. You can resume your normal activities within a day or so. There may be bloody or watery vaginal discharge, which is normal.
Risks and Complications of NovaSure Procedure
As with any procedure, NovaSure is associated with certain risks and complications which include:
- Bradycardia (slow heart rate)
- Organ injury within the abdomen or around the uterus
Contact your doctor immediately if you observe the following symptoms:
- Severe pain in the pelvic region
- Bladder problems
- Bowel problems
- Vaginal discharge of a greenish color
- Nausea, vomiting, and dizziness
- Shortness of breath
- Fever above 100.4-degree Fahrenheit